Statue of George Washington at the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, Virginia.
c late 19th century
The statue was cast by William J. Hubbard of Richmond, VA, from a mold of France’s Jean-Antoine Houdon’s Washington (1785-1791) which stands in the capitol in Richmond. The first statue placed on the grounds, it was unveiled on July 4, 1857.
The statue was removed by Union troops during General David Hunter’s raid (June 1864). It was taken to Wheeling, West Virginia, as a trophy of the war, but returned to VMI after the war’s conclusion.
Paper, cardboard. L 10.4, W 6.2 cm
Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial, ARHO 5182