Oxford University Press
The inner leaf is signed "R. E. Lee Lt. Col. U.S.A." Documentation indicates that General Robert E. Lee used this bible during the Civil War.
Religion was an integral part of family life at Arlington House. The family was Episcopalian and attended a local church in Alexandria, VA. There was family prayer in the family parlor each morning and also afternoon and evening readings. Lee was confirmed with Mary and Annie, July 17, 1853 at Christ Church by Reverend John James.
Paper with leather binding. L 15, W 10, T 6.3 cm
Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial, ARHO 2273