Description: Black horsehair upholstery, curved rocker, removable arm pads.
Dr. Thomas E. Best, a surgeon with the 44th Wisconsin Infantry, bought this chair from a Union soldier who removed it from Arlington House in 1865. The original horsehair cloth was found under the newer upholstery and over two layers of muslin covering the padding.
Mahogany, horsehair. H 100, W 57.5, Depth 50 cm
Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial, ARHO 1897