National Park Service
Return to Maritime home page
Inventory of Historic Light Stations
Oregon Lighthouses
Back to Inventory - Home Page
Back to Inventory - List of Oregon Lighthouses
YAQUINA HEAD LIGHT

State: OREGON
Location: 3 MILES NORTH OF YAQUINA BAY ENTRANCE
Nearest City: NEWPORT
County: LINCOLN
U.S.C.G. District: 13
Year Station Established: 1873


Yaquina Head Light
NPS photo by Ralph Eshelman, 1995
Existing Historic Tower:
  • Year Light First Lit: 1873
  • Is the Light Operational? YES
  • Date Deactivated: N/A
  • Automated: 1966
  • Foundation Materials: BRICK
  • Construction Materials: BRICK
  • Markings/Patterns: WHITE TOWER/GREEN LANTERN/RED DOME
  • Shape: CONICAL ATTACHED TO WORKROOM
  • Relationship to Other Structures: ATTACHED
  • Tower Height: 93
  • Original Optic: FIRST ORDER, FIXED, FRESNEL
  • Year Original Lens Installed: 1873
  • Present Optic: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL
  • Year Present Lens Installed: 1873
  • Height of Focal Plane: 162
  • Fresnel Lens Disposition: ORIGINAL LENS STILL IN OPERATION
  • Has tower been moved? NO
Previous Tower(s): N/A

Modern Tower? NO

Existing Sound Signal Building? NO

Existing Keepers Quarters? NO (DEMOLISHED 1984)
  • Year Constructed: 1873
  • Number of Stories: 2
  • Architectural Style: DUPLEX
  • Construction Materials: WOOD
Other Structures: WHIP ANTENNA (1993), 1873 CISTERN, 1889 OIL HOUSE; DESTROYED: ASST KEEPERS, STABLE, 1886 BARN, 1889 OIL HOUSE, 1881 WATER TOWER, 1896 WAGON SHED, 1900 CISTERN, 1922 KEEPERS DWELLING, 1938 KEEPERS DWELLING

Current Use: ACTIVE AID TO NAVIGATION

Owner/Manager: SALEM DISTRICT BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT W/USCG ACCESS TO OPTIC

Open to the Public? YES (Go to Lighthouses to Visit for access information)

Web Site:

National Register Status: LISTED; Reference #73002340
Name of Listing: YAQUINA HEAD LIGHTHOUSE (LIGHTHOUSE STATIONS OF OREGON MPS) On State List/Inventory? YES; Year Listed: 1970

Miscellaneous:
ORIGINAL NAME WAS CAPE FOULWEATHER; BLM PLANS TO INTERPRET LIGHT AS PART OF THE YAQUINA HEAD OUTSTANDING NATURAL AREA; LIGHTHOUSE & OIL HOUSE REHABILITATED IN 1992



Return to Maritime home page



Last Modified: Thurs, Mar 07 2002 10:51:02 am EDT
JMP



Privacy & Disclaimer

Parknet logo