National Park Service
Return to Maritime home page
Inventory of Historic Light Stations
Georgia Lighthouses
Back to Inventory - Home Page
Back to Inventory - List of Georgia Lighthouses
TYBEE ISLAND LIGHT

State: GEORGIA
Location: SAVANNAH RIVER ENTRANCE
Nearest City: TYBEE ISLAND
County: CHATHAM
U.S.C.G. District: 7
Year Station Established: 1736
Tybee Island Light
Photo courtesy Ted Smith
Existing Historic Tower:
  • Year Light First Lit: 1867
  • Is the Light Operational? YES
  • Date Deactivated: N/A
  • Automated: 1972
  • Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
  • Construction Materials: BRICK
  • Markings/Patterns: BLACK WITH WHITE BAND
  • Shape: OCTAGONAL ATTACHED TO WORKROOM
  • Relationship to Other Structures: SEPARATE
  • Tower Height: 145
  • Original Optic: OIL LAMPS
  • Year Original Lens Installed: 1791
  • Present Optic: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL
  • Year Present Lens Installed: 1867
  • Height of Focal Plane: 144
  • Fresnel Lens Disposition:
  • Has tower been moved? NO
Previous Tower(s):
  • 1. Construction Date: 1736/1742
  • Description: 90-FOOT WOOD FRAME/100-FOOT BRICK
  • Fate/Disposition: LOST TO EROSION 1741/LOST TO EROSION 1767
  • 2. Construction Date: 1773
  • Description: 100-FOOT BRICK
  • Fate/Disposition: LOWER 60 FEET USED AS FOUNDATION FOR 1867 TOWER
Modern Tower? NO

Existing Sound Signal Building? NO

Existing Keepers Quarters? YES
  • Year Constructed: 1881
  • Number of Stories: 2
  • Architectural Style: STICK STYLE
  • Construction Materials: WOOD
Other Structures: 1ST ASST FRAME KEEPERS (1885), CISTERN, BRICK FUEL STORAGE BUILDING (1890), BRICK SUMMER KITCHEN (1812), GARAGE (1936), FRAME 2ND ASST KEEPERS (CONVERTED FROM FORMER CONFEDERATE BARRACKS)

Current Use: ACTIVE AID TO NAVIGATION/MUSEUM

Owner/Manager: TYBEE ISLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC.

Open to the Public? YES (Go to Lighthouses to Visit for access information)

National Register Status: PART OF LISTING; Reference #82002393
Name of Listing: FORT SCREVEN HISTORIC DISTRICT
On State List/Inventory? YES; Year Listed: 1975

Miscellaneous:
SITE DATE REFERS TO ORIGINAL DAYMARK; SERVED AS REAR RANGE OF RANGE LIGHTS IN 1822; OVER 70,000 VISITORS IN 1996; TOWER RESTORED 1999, HEAD KEEPERS RESTORED 1999-2000; TRANSFERRED TO THE TYBEE ISLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY IN 2002 UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE NATIONAL HISTORIC LIGHTHOUSE PRESERVATION ACT.



Return to Maritime home page



Last Modified: Tues, Dec 27 2005 10:15:00 am EDT
JMP



Privacy & Disclaimer

Parknet logo