National Park Service
Return to Maritime home page
Inventory of Historic Light Stations
Michigan Lighthouses
Back to Inventory - Home Page
Back to Inventory - List of Michigan Lighthouses
POINT IROQUOIS LIGHT

State: MICHIGAN
Location: LAKE SUPERIOR / WHITEFISH BAY
Nearest City: BAY MILLS
County: CHIPPEWA
U.S.C.G. District: 9
Year Station Established: 1855


Point Iroquois Light
NPS photo by James P. Delgado, 1990
Existing Historic Tower:
  • Year Light First Lit: 1871
  • Is the Light Operational? NO
  • Date Deactivated: 1971
  • Automated: 1962
  • Foundation Materials: CEMENT
  • Construction Materials: BRICK
  • Markings/Patterns: WHITE TOWER/BLACK LANTERN
  • Shape: CONICAL
  • Relationship to Other Structures: ATTACHED
  • Tower Height: 65
  • Original Optic: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
  • Year Original Lens Installed: 1870
  • Present Optic: REMOVED
  • Year Present Lens Installed:
  • Height of Focal Plane: 68
  • Fresnel Lens Disposition: SENT TO SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION 1963; FOURTH ORDER LENS FROM ST. MARTIN'S REEF LIGHT STATION ON DISPLAY IN KEEPERS
Previous Tower(s):
  • 1. Construction Date: 1855
  • Description: WOODEN WITH 45-FOOT FOCAL PLANE
  • Fate/Disposition: TORN DOWN IN 1870 AND REPLACED BY PRESENT TOWER
Modern Tower? NO

Existing Sound Signal Building? NO, REMOVED

Existing Keepers Quarters? YES
  • Year Constructed: 1902
  • Number of Stories: 2
  • Architectural Style: CAPE COD
  • Construction Materials: BRICK
Other Structures: ASST KEEPERS QUARTERS (1870); REMOVED/ORIG. FOG SIGNAL BLDG., 3 BARNS, CHICKEN HOUSE, WELL, BOATHOUSE, WELL HOUSE, OIL HOUSE

Current Use: MUSEUM IN NATIONAL FOREST

Owner/Manager: U.S. FOREST SERVICE

Open to the Public? YES (Go to Lighthouses to Visit for access information)

Web Site:

National Register Status: LISTED; Reference #75000940
Name of Listing: POINT IROQUOIS LIGHT STATION (U.S. COAST GUARD / GREAT LAKES TR) On State
List/Inventory? YES; Year Listed: 1970

Miscellaneous:
GUIDE TO ST. MARYS RIVER; SOO LOCKS CONNECTION BETWEEN LAKE SUPERIOR AND OTHER GREAT LAKES; PART OF HIAWATHA NATIONAL FOREST; REPLACED BY AUTOMATIC SIGNAL BEACON INSTALLED IN CHANNEL ACROSS THE BAY FROM THE LIGHTHOUSE; RENOVATION BEGUN 1983



Return to Maritime home page



Last Modified: Tue, Apr 30 2002 10:20:02 am EDT
JMP



Privacy & Disclaimer

Parknet logo