Hancock Shaker Village
People called "Shakers" formed communities where they could live and work together according to their religious beliefs. Shakers built Hancock Village in 1790. They continued to live in the village until the 1960s, raising grains, vegetables, and livestock to support themselves This enormous round stone barn, originally constructed in 1826, was one of the most important structures in the village. The barn's shape and three levels must have made life easier for the farmers. They drove their wagon up a ramp to the top level, then pitched hay into a central bin on the middle level where 52 community cows were kept. The ground level served as a manure pit.