Ellicott City Station
The Baltimore and Ohio (B & O) railroad company was the first one in the United States to be chartered as a common carrier of freight and passengers The Ellicott City Station was built in 1830-31 as the "end of the line" for the original 13-mile stretch of track laid by the B & O. Because this first section of track was a financial success, the railroad expanded to the west. The prosperity of the B & O encouraged other railroad companies to build more railroad track. The small station in Ellicott City no longer services passenger trains, but freight trains frequently pass by.