Baltimore (Phoenix) Shot Tower
The use of fire-arms has a long history, but this particular business, originally called Merchant's Shot Company. opened in Baltimore City in 1828. Both "drop shot" for pistols and rifles and "moulded shot" for larger weapons such as cannons were made here. This building is stories high. The company's workers made drop shot by dropping melted lead though a sieve-like device at the top of tile tower into a vat of cold water at the bottom. About one million bags of shot were roduced yearly in this way. The company closed in 1898.