Hatband & Straps
Law Enforcement Insignia
Tie Ornaments & Pins
of the NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
BADGES: National Park Service Associated
There is a final group of badges known as "National
Park Service Associated Badges". These are usually a dual purpose badge,
incorporating "Deputy Marshal", or some other law enforcement agency,
along with a variation of "National Park Service" or "National Park
Ranger", and occasionally the park name. Though not officially
authorized by the National Park Service, badges of this nature were
often purchased by the individual park, or the ranger himself for added
Since there is no reference to these dual purpose
badges in the official correspondence, nor manufacturer's marks on the
back of those examined, it cannot be determined where, or when, they
were made, or in most cases, used. Dating is equally difficult. Style is
not a true indicator since the purchaser could have selected an old
badge blank to have his new information applied. Most, though. appear to
date from the earlier decades of the century.
Sequoia National Park Forest Ranger
This badge is the exception to the rule. It was probably worn by a
ranger in Sequoia National Park prior to the separation of the Services
in 1905, since after that date all rangers working within parks were
known as Park Rangers. It is made of nickel-silver and has an ornate
scroll-strap border in the shape of a stylized shield. In the center are
three bars with a stippled background, of which the top and bottom bars
are arched. The top bar contains the words FOREST RANGER, the middle
bar, in two lines, SEQUOIA/NATIONAL PARK and across the bottom,
CALIFORNIA. The pin on the back is of the safety pin variety, without
safety latch. Size: 1-3/4" wide x 1-15/16" high.
Grand Canyon Constable
This is the only badge in this group with provenance. It was worn by
Hubert Reginald "Bert" Lauson when he patrolled Bright Angel Trail for
Coconino County, Arizona, prior it's transfer to the Federal Government
in 1928. While not actually worn after the Trail became part of Grand
Canyon National Park, it is included here because of the man that wore
Bert was born on 25 January, 1886. He first arrived
at Grand Canyon in 1910 and fell in love with the area. After working in
the mines and trying his hand at farming, he went to work for Coconino
County in 1919 as caretaker and toll collector for the Trail. With the
transfer in 1928, it looked like Bert was out of a job, and the Canyon.
But he quickly corrected the matter by becoming a member of the ranger
force on l January, 1929. After almost 24 years of exemplary service, in
which time he refused offers of promotion that might take him away from
his beloved Canyon, he died on 3 November, 1951, and is buried in the
Grand Canyon Cemetery. 
The badge is made of nickel-silver and slightly
convex, with CONSTABLE/GRAND CANYON/ARIZ. in three lines. Constable and
Ariz. are curved. There is also a small decoration between Constable and
Grand Canyon. Size: 1-3/8" wide x 1-5/8" high.
Hubert R. "Bert" Lauzon,
ranger, Grand Canyon NP, on his horse Comet, 1929. Lauzon
patrolled the Bright Angel Trail for Coconino County, Arizona, before
hiring on with the National Park Service. The hat must be a holdover
from his old days on the Trail. Courtesy of Richard Karch
Gettysburg National Military Park/ Assistant U.S.
At first glance, this badge appears to have been used in Glacier
National Park (G.N.P.), but in fact was issued at Gettysburg prior to
the park being transferred from the Army to the National Park Service.
The badge is made of heavy gauge nickel-silver and slightly convex with
nine unprotected points, the odd point down. Across the face in four
lines are the words ASSISTANT/U.S./MARSHALL/G.N.P. in light blue enamel.
The words are alternately 3/16" and 1/4". Size: 2-1/2" wide x 2-1/2"