The Regional Review

Volume II - No. 4

April, 1939



Formal dedication of the new museum building at Mound State Monument, Moundville, Alabama, which has been constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees under joint supervision of the Service and the Alabama Museum of Natural History, will take place on the afternoon of May 12 following a luncheon arranged for entertainment of visitors. Designed to house a novel archeological installation for the "average man," the building is of monolothic concrete fireproof construction having a large central unit and two wings. The wings shelter numerous burial pits in situ which may be viewed from special walkways. "We are tremendously proud of the building and we believe it is going to be gratefully received by the students of prehistory everywhere," The Review was informed this month by Dr. Walter B. Jones, Director of the Alabama Department of Conservation. Future development of Alabama's state park system, it was announced meanwhile, is assured through a recent state government allocation of $40,000. Five parks will be ready for the approaching seasonal openings.


Approximately 2,500 persons attended the formal dedication on April 15 of Gold Head Branch State Park, 1,240-acre area near Keystone Heights, Florida, developed by CCC workers under direction of the National Park Service and the Florida Forest and Park Service. Organizations and citizens of the region cooperated in the all-day dedicatory program. Excellent facilities for swimming, picnicking and hiking are among the developments provided in the new park. Florida now is considering the development of the latest addition to the state system, a 270-acre jungle area on New River near Fort Lauderdale, the gift of R. H. Gore, former Governor of Puerto Rico. "Mr. Gore is interested in the development of the park as a display of subtropical plant and animal life," according to H. J. Malsberger, Director of the State Forest and Park Service. "This would make it appropriate to designate the area as the Pan-American State Park."


Its budget requests successively reduced by the Commission on Conservation and Development, the budget committee and the Legislature, the North Carolina State Parks Division received an appropriation, in the main appropriation bill, of only $2,100 for 1940 and $2,600 for 1941. In the closing days of the legislative session, however, a special appropriation of $35,000 a year was authorized. These items, with expendible income from operations, are expected to provide reasonably adequate funds for the next two years. The state also appropriated this month a $20,000 fund to finance the work of assembling acreage required for creation of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore on the Outer Banks. Proponents of the successful bill authorizing acquisition proceedings predict 20,000 acres will be available within six months. A five-page mimeographed memorandum issued by the news office of the Department of Conservation and Development affords thumbnail descriptions of the state's chain of major parks and lists the recreational facilities which visitors will find in them this season. The system embraces Mount Mitchell, Morrow Mountain, Hanging Rock, Rendezvous Mountain, Pettigrew, Fort Macon and Cape Hatteras State Parks, aggregating some 13,000 acres.




Problems of research and interpretation were studied by Washington and regional members of the Branch of Historic Sites at a three-day conference held this month in Richmond. During a lull in historical affairs, the group shown at the right was photographed in the over-bright sunshine on Virginia's Capitol steps. Present are: Lower row l. to r., Joseph Mills Hanson; Alvin Stauffer; Francis F. Wilshin; Edward Steere; Mrs. Virginia Harrington and Ronald F. Lee; Second row, Charles W. Porter, Albert Manucy, Jesse D. Jennings, Malcolm Gardner, Rogers W. Young, Frederick Tilberg, Thor Borresen and Bolling C. Yates; Third row, Melvin J. Weig, J. C. Harrington, Roy Edgar Appleman, Ralston B. Lattimore, A. R. Kelly and Edwin W. Small.

E. D. FREELAND, formerly Superintendent of Wind Cave National Park, entered on duty this month as Superintendent of Fort Marion National Monument. His transfer followed that of Superintendent ELBERT COX, from Morristown National Historical Park to Colonial National Historical Park, and HERBERT KAHLER, from Fort Marion to Morristown.

EMIL C. HEINRICH, formerly Inspector in Indiana, entered on duty in a like status in Pennsylvania and JOHN C. DIGGS was transferred from Pennsylvania to a territory embracing western Texas, with Austin headquarters.

V. W. SAARI, formerly Associate Forester assigned to the Richmond office, entered on duty as Regional Forester of Region III, Santa Fe.

<<< Previous
> Contents <
Next >>>
Date: 04-Jul-2002