National Capital Parks
STATUES, MONUMENTS, AND MEMORIALS IN NATIONAL CAPITAL PARKS
|1. Gen. Andrew Jackson||Equestrian||Lafayette Park
||Clark Mills||Jan. 8, 1853||Extended below|
Cost - $32,000. Act of Mar. 3, 1853, appropriated $20,000; $12,000 was furnished by the
Jackson Democratic Association of Washington, D. C.; Cost of pedestal,
$8,000, of which $5,000 was appropriated by act of Aug. 31, 1852, and
$3,000 by act of Mar. 3, 1853. Act of May 31, 1854 appropriated $500 for
completion of pedestal and inclosure.
|2. Gen. Washington||Equestrian
Pa. ave., 23rd & K Sts. NW
|Clark Mills||Feb. 22, 1860
Cost - $50,000, which was appropriated by act of Jan. 25, 1853. Act
of Feb. 24, 1860 appropriated $10,000 for transporting and placing
statue on pedestal and for expenses incident to the dedication
|3. President Lincoln||Standing||Judiciary Park
||Lot Flannery||Apr. 15, 1868||Extended below|
Originally on high column and taken down when Courthouse was reconstructed
in 1919-20. Reerected on a low granite pedestal June, 1923, under
joint resolution passed June 21, 1922, which appropriated $5,000 for the
|4. Gen. John Rawlins||Standing
N.Y. ave., E. 18th & 19th Sts., N.W.
|J. Bailly||Completed Nov. 1874; no
formal dedication||Extended below|
Act of Congress June 10, 1872 appropriated $10,000 for statue, and act
of June 22, 1874 appropriated $3,000 for pedestal and authorized
erection in Rawlins Square, N.W. Ave., and 18th St., NW, from whence it
was moved to 9th St. and Pa. Ave., in October, 1866, under authority
contained in act of Congress approved May 17, 1886, which appropriated $500
for the purpose. The statue was moved to its present location in Rawlins Park
in October, 1931, in accordance with public resolution and act of Mar, 4, 1931,
which authorized and appropriated $1,500 for that purpose.
|5. Gen. Winfield Scott||Equestrian
Mass. & R.I. Aves., 16th & N Sts., N.W.
|Henry Brown||Received by Government informally in 1874
$20,000 appropriated by Congress in March 1867; an additional
$15,000 appropriated for the statue on July 15, 1870;
$42,000 appropriated for the pedestal on June 10, 1872.
|6. President Lincoln||Standing
East Capitol, bet. 11th & 13th Sts. NE
| Thomas Ball||Apr. 14, 1876
Erected by the emancipated citizens of the United States, who subscribed
$18,000 for the statue. Its erection in public grounds was authorized by
act of Congress, June 23, 1874, which also appropriated $3,000 for a
|7. Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson
Vermont Ave., 15th & K Sts., NW
|Louis Rebisso||Oct. 18, 1876
Cost - $23,000. Paid by the Society of the Army of the Tennessee;
cost of pedestal - $25,000, which was appropriated by Congress, act
of Mar. 3, 1875.
|8. Gen. Nathanael Greene
Mass. & Md. Aves., 5th & C Sts. NE
|Henry Brown||Received by
Government informally 1877||Extended below|
$40,000 appropriated for statue by act of Congress, June 23, 1874;
$10,000 appropriated for completion of statue including pedestal by
act of Mar. 3, 1875.
|9. Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas
Mass. & Vermont Aves., 14th & M Sts. NW
|J.Q.A. Ward||Nov. 19, 1879
Cost - $35,000. Paid by the Society of the Army of the Cumberland; cost
of pedestal $25,000, appropriated by Congress, act of July 31, 1876.
|10. Admiral Farragut||Standing
17th & K Sts. NW
| Mrs. Vinnie (Ream) Hoxie||Apr. 25, 1881
Cost - $20,000 appropriated by Congress, act of Apr. 16 1872.
|11. Prof. Joseph Henry||Standing
||Smithsonian Grounds||W. W. Story||Apr. 19, 1882
Cost of statue and pedestal - $15,000; appropriated by Congress, June 1,
|12. Washington Monument
||Obelisk of marble 555' high, square at the base
||Monument Grounds||Modification of design of Robert Mills
||Cornerstone laid July 4, 1848; capstone set Dec. 6, 1884; dedicated Feb. 21, 1885
Built to height of 152 feet by the Washington National Monument
Society with funds raised by popular subscription. Completion taken
over by U. S. Government, act of August 2, 1876. Total cost of
foundations and shaft was $1,187,710, of which the Society raised
|13. President Garfield||Standing
||1st and Md. Ave., S. W.||J.Q.A. Ward
||May 12, 1887||Extended below|
Appropriated by Congress $7,500 for statue, act of Mar. 11, 1882;
$30,000 for pedestal by act of July 7, 1884; $25,039 subscribed for the
statue by the Army of the Cumberland.
|14. General Lafayette||Standing
|Alex. Falquiere & Antonin Mercie
||Completed April 1891; no ceremony||Extended below|
Cost - $50,000; appropriated by Congress, act of Mar, 3, 1855.
|15. Pa. Volunteers of Civil War,
||Delos Smith||1891||Extended below|
Cost - $5,000; erected by the State of Pennsylvania after permit was
issued by the Quartermaster Corps for its erection.
|16. General Winfield Scott Hancock||Equestrian
||7th & Pa. Ave. NW||Henry Ellicott
||May 12, 1896||Extended below|
Cost of statue and pedestal - $50,000; appropriated by acts of March 2, 1889
and March 3, 1891.
|17. L. J. M. Daguerre||Bust
||Smithsonian Grounds||Johnathan S. Hartley
||Set in position 1897||Extended below|
Presented to the Government by the Photographic Association of America.
Unveiled in the National Museum, August 15, 1890.
|18. Dr. Samuel D. Gross||Standing
||Smithsonian Grounds||A. Sterling Calder
||May 6, 1897||Extended below|
Presented by the physicians and surgeons of the United States; act of
Congress, Mar. 2, 1895 authorized its erection in public grounds and
appropriated $1,500 for the pedestal.
|19. Daniel Webster||Standing
||Mass. & R.I. Aves.
bet. 16th & 17 Sts.
|G. Trentanove||Jan. 19, 1900
Presented by Mr. Stilson Hutchins to the United States. Act of Congress
July 1, 1898 authorized its erection in public grounds and appropriated
$4,000 for a pedestal.
|20. Dr. Samuel Hahneman||Sitting
||East of Scott Circle,
Mass. & R.I. Aves. & N St., NW
|Charles Henry Niehaus||June 21, 1900
Erected by the American Institute of Homeopathy. Act of Congress Jan.
31, 1900 authorized its erection in public grounds and appropriated
$4,000 for a foundation.
|21. General John Logan||Equestrian
Vt. & R.I. Aves. & 13th & P Sts., N.W.
|Franklin Simmons||Apr. 9, 1901
Cost - $65,000. $50,000 appropriated by Congress;
$15,000 paid by the Army of Tennessee.
|22. General Albert Pike||Standing
||Indiana Ave., 3rd & D Sts., NW||G. Trentanove
||Oct. 23, 1901||Extended below|
Erected by the Masonic Fraternity of the United States;
Act of Congress, April 9, 1898, authorized its erection in
public grounds and states its cost shall not be less than $10,000.
|23. Marshall Count de Rochambeau
| M. Hamar, of Paris||May 24, 1802
Cost of statue and pedestal - $22,500; $7,500 appropriated by act
of Mar. 3, 1901; $15,000 appropriated by act of Feb. 14, 1902. By the
acts of Mar, 21, 1902 and May 15, 1902 Congress also appropriated
$10,000 for the expenses of members of French Government and
Rochambeau's and Lafayette's families to attend the dedication.
|24. General William T. Sherman
South of Treasury building
||Oct. 15, 1903||Extended below|
Appropriated by act of Congress July 5, 1892, $50,000; appropriated by
act of Mar. 2, 1895, $30,000; subscribed by the army of the Tennessee
for statue, $11,000. Additional amounts aggregating $40,055.05 have
since been appropriated for subfoundation, mosaic work, granite curb,
and improvement of grounds.
|25. Peace Monument (Naval)
||Standing||Pa. Ave. & 1st St., N.W.
||F. Simmons||Erected by Navy Dept. 1877;
transferred to this office, Mar. 29, 1902||Extended below|
Sundry Civil Act approved July 31, 1876,
appropriated the sum of $20,000 for completing the statue of "Peace" and
provided for the selection of a site on the public grounds in the city
of Washington for the erection of the statue. Mainly paid by
subscriptions made by Naval personnel.
|26. N. Y. Volunteers of the Civil War,
||J.F. Manning & Co.||July 12, 1904
Cost - $800. A permit was issued by the Quartermaster Corps for its
erection in the Battleground Cemetery. The Battleground National Cemetery was
transferred by the War Department to the Interior Department, September, 1933.
The Column was erected by the State of New York.
|27. CO. K, 150th Ohio Nat'l Guard Infantry
||J. F. Manning & Co.||July, 1904
Cost - $1,000. Erected by the State of Ohio. A permit was issued by
the Quartermaster Corps for its erection in Battleground National Cemetery.
|28. Gen. George B. McClellan
||Equestrian||Conn. & Calif. Aves. & Columbia Road
||Frederick MacMonnies||May 2, 1907
Authorized by Congress, act of Mar. 3, 1901, which appropriated
$50,000. $2,500 for unveiling, act of June 30, 1906. Funds for
improvement of site provided by Society of the Army of the Potomac.
|29. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan||Equestrian
Mass. Ave. & 23rd St. NW
|Gutzon Borglum||Nov. 25, 1908
Act of Mar. 2, 1889 appropriated $40,000 for preparation of site and
erection of pedestal. Act of Mar. 3, 1891, appropriated $10,000 for
completion of pedestal and statue. Act of May 27, 1908, appropriated
$4,000 for unveiling and improving site. Statue was furnished by the
Army of the Cumberland.
|30. Henry W. Longfellow||Sitting
||Conn. Ave. & 18th & M Sts., NW
||William Couper||May 7, 1909
Pedestal provided by the United States at a cost of $4,000 in joint
resolution June 8, 1906. Statue presented by the Longfellow Memorial
|31. John Witherspoon||Standing
||Conn. Ave. & 18th & M Sts., NW
||William Couper||May 20, 1909
Pedestal provided by the United States at a cost of $4,000 appropriated
by public resolution May 29, 1908. Statue presented by the Witherspoon
|32. Stephenson Grand Army Memorial
||Monumental||Circle at La. Ave., 7th & C Sts. NW
||J. Massey Rhind||July 3, 1909
Pedestal provided by the United States at a cost of $10,000 appropriated
by public resolution Mar. 4, 1907. Memorial presented by Stephenson Grand
Army Memorial Association.
|33. Gen. Count Pulaski||Equestrian
||Triangle, at Pa. Ave., 13th & E Sts. NW
||Kazimeirz Chodzinski||May 11, 1910
Cost of statue and pedestal $40,000. Act of Feb. 27, 1903
appropriated $50,000 for statue and erection of pedestal; act of Feb. 25,
1910, $5,000 for unveiling, preparing site, and improving grounds.
|34. Gen. Thaddeus Kosciusko||Standing
||May 11, 1910||Extended below|
Presented to the Government by the Polish American Alliance and Polish
American people of the United States, under joint resolution Apr. 18,
1904. Act of Congress Feb. 25, 1910, appropriated $3,500 for preparing
and improving site and unveiling the statue.
|35. Gen. Baron von Steuben||Standing
||Dec. 7, 1910||Extended below|
Act of Congress, Feb. 27, 1903, appropriated $50,000 for procuring and
erecting statue and pedestal; act of June 25, 1910 appropriated $2,500
|36. Commodore John Paul Jones||Standing
||Foot of 17th St. Driveway on shore of Tidal Basin in West Pot. Park
||Charles Henry Niehaus||Apr. 17, 1912
Act of Congress, June 8, 1906, appropriated $50,000 for statue and
pedestal and authorized its erection on public grounds; act of Mar. 4,
1911, appropriated $2,500 for unveiling ceremonies.
|37. Christopher Columbus||Standing
||Union Station Plaza||Lorado Taft
||June 8, 1912||Extended below|
Act of Congress, Mar. 4, 1907, appropriated $100,000; District of
Columbia Commissioners donated $456.42 toward construction of foundation; total
cost $100,456.42. Act of Dec. 22, 1911 appropriated $2,500 for unveiling.
|38. Commodore John Barry||Standing
||Center of west side of Franklin Park, 14th St., bet. I & K Sts. NW
||John J. Boyle||May 16, 1914
Act of June 8, 1906 authorized erection on public grounds and
appropriated $50,000 for the statue and pedestal. Act of June 23, 1913,
appropriated $2,500 for unveiling and improving the grounds.
|39. New York Volunteers,
the 125th Cavalry
||McGibbon & Curry||Sept. 19, 1914
Cost $7,500. Erected by the State of New York.
|40. DuPont Memorial
Mass. & Conn. Aves., 19th & P Sts., NW
|Daniel Chester French||May 17, 1921
Total cost $77,521.33 paid by members of Admiral DuPont's family.
Erected by authority of Joint resolution Feb. 26, 1917 to replace a
pedestrian statue of Admiral DuPont by Launt Thompson.
||Meridian Hill Park,
|E. Ximenes, of Rome||Dec. 1, 1921
Presented by Carlo Barsotti, New York, in the name of Americans of
Italian birth living in the State of New York. Erected on public grounds
under public resolution Feb. 14, 1922.
|42. Jeanne D'Arc||Equestrian
||Meridian Hill Park,
center of Grand Terrace
|Copy of original by Paul Dubois||Jan. 6, 1922
Presented by Societe des Femmes de France a New York. Erection on public
grounds authorized by act of Mar. 20, 1922.
|43. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant||Equestrian
||Mall and 1st St. NW||Henry M. Shrady
||Apr. 27, 1922||Extended below|
Act of Feb. 23, 1901, authorized erection on public grounds, limited
cost to $250,000 and appropriated $10,000 for plans and models for base,
pedestal, and statue. Act approved June 28, 1902, appropriated $50,000
for commencing work. Acts of June 30, 1906, Feb. 9 and Mar. 4, 1909,
June 25, 1910, June 23, 1913, and Aug. 1, 1914, appropriated a total of
$190,000 for erection of memorial. Act of Aug. 1, 1914 appropriated $5,000
|44. Lincoln Memorial
||Monumental Building containing Statue of Lincoln
||West Potomac Park
||Daniel Chester French, sculptor; Henry Bacon, architect;
Jules Guerin, interior decorations||May 30, 1922
Act of Feb. 9, 1911 authorized its erection at a cost not to exceed
$2,000,000, and appropriated $50,000 for plans and designs. Act of Feb,
28, 1916 increased limit of cost to $2,594,000 and act of Mar. 4, 1921
further increased limit of cost to $2,957,000. Act of June 23, 1913,
appropriated $300,000 for commencing the work. Acts of Aug. 1, 1914,
Mar. 3, 1915, and Feb. 28, and July 1, 1916 appropriated a total of
$1,963,000 for continuing work. Act of June 12, 1917 appropriated
$331,000 for completing erection, Act of Mar. 4, 1921 appropriated
$345,720 for additional work on approaches and terrace, including
foundations. Act of Mar. 4, 1921, appropriated $100,000 for construction
of roads and walks. Acts of July 19, 1919, June 5, 1920, Mar. 4, 1921,
and June 30, 1922 appropriated a total of $584,000 for construction of
reflecting pool. Act of July 19, 1919 appropriated $5,000 for the
|45. Edmund Burke||Standing
||Mass. Ave., 11th & L Sts., NW
||Havard Thomas||Oct. 12, 1922
Presented to the United States by the Sulgrave Institution of Great
Brittain and America. Erected on public grounds under authority of
public resolution of April 25, 1922.
|46. The Zero Milestone
4 feet high
|North side of Ellipse, south of White House grounds
||- - -||- - -
On June 28, 1919, permit was granted the National Highway Marking
Association to erect temporary plaster monument to mark starting point
of a motor convoy trip to San Francisco, which started from Washington
July 7, 1919. Joint resolution June 5, 1920, authorized replacement of
temporary monument by permanent one without expense to the United
States. The Lee Highway Association then carried this project to
conclusion. Permanent monument was completed in January, 1922 and
dedicated on June 4, 1923 with elaborate ceremonies.
|47. Joseph J. Darlington
||Memorial Fountain||Judiciary Square
||- - -||Erection completed, Oct. 1923
Presented as a gift to the people of the City of Washington without
expense to the United States. Public Resolution, Mar. 3, 1923.
|48. Nuns of the Battlefield
with bronze figures
|R.I. Ave. & M St. NW
||Jerome Connor||Sept. 20, 1924
Erected by Ladies' Auxiliary of Ancient Order of Hibernians, in
America. Public resolution, Mar. 29, 1918, authorized erection on public
|49. First Division, AEF World War I
|South of Executive Office Bldg. 17th St. & N.Y. Ave.
||Daniel Chester French||Oct. 4, 1924
Public resolution, Dec. 16, 1921, authorized erection on public
grounds without expense to the United States. Erected by the Memorial
Association of the First Division of the U. S. Army in the World War.
|50. Bishop Francis Asbury
||Equestrian||16th & Mt. Pleasant Sts., NW
||Augustus Lukeman||Oct. 15, 1924
Joint resolution Feb. 28, 1919 authorized Francis Asbury Memorial
Association to erect the memorial on public grounds without expense to the
|51. Serenity||Sitting figure
||Meridian Hill Park,|
||Erected in July 1925; no ceremony
Presented by Charles Deering as a gift to the people of the United
States. Public resolution Mar. 12, 1924 authorized on public grounds.
|52. General San Martin||Equestrian
||Judiciary Square||Copy of original by Dumont
||Oct. 28, 1925||Extended below|
Public resolution, June 7, 1924, authorized erection on public
grounds without expense to the United States.
|53. John Ericsson
with allegorical group
|West Potomac Park
||J. E. Fraser||May 29, 1926
Authorized by act of Aug. 31, 1916. Appropriated by act of June 12,
1917, $35,000. Received by private subscription $25,000. Appropriated by
act of Mar. 3, 1925, $3,500 for dedication.
|54. General George Gordon Meade
||Standing||Botanic Garden grounds
||Charles A. Grafly||Oct. 19, 1927
Erected by the State of Pennsylvania without expense to the United
States. Public resolution Jan. 21, 1915, authorized its erection on
U. S. property at Third Street and Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
|55. Butt-Millett Memorial
||Juncture of West Executive Ave. & Ellipse Road
||Daniel Chester French||- - -
Authorized by public resolution approved Aug. 24, 1912, to
be placed on public grounds at no expense to the United States.
|56. Cuban Friendship||Monumental Urn
Acceptance authorized by public resolution approved May 22, 1928.
Presented as a gift to President Coolidge from Hon. Gerardo Machade y
Morales, President of the Republic of Cuba. The urn was made from a
fragment of one of the columns of the monument to the "Maine" in Havana,
Cuba. It is made of marble, weighing 7 tons, and was set up in the Rose
Garden, in West Potomac Park, about Dec. 15, 1928.
|57. Women of the World War
||E St., bet. 17th & 18th Sts., NW
||Trowbridge & Livingston, architects
||Mar. 19, 1930||Extended below|
Authorized by public resolution approved June 7, 1924 to cost not less
than $300,000. This resolution also authorized an appropriation of
$150,000, payable when a like sum is raised by private subscription.
Public resolution approved Mar. 8, 1928 authorized an additional
appropriation of $50,000. Plans approved by a special commission and by
the Commission of Fine Arts. Total cost $556,214.10
|58. President Buchanan||Sitting
||Meridian Hill Park||Hans Schuler
||June 26, 1930||Extended below|
Erected by trustees of the estate of Mrs. Harriet Lane Johnston. Public
resolution approved June 27, 1918, authorized its erection on public
grounds, without expense to the United States. Plans, design, and
location approved by the Commission of Fine Arts.
|59. Women's Titanic Memorial||Male Figure
||N.H. Ave. & E St. west of 27th St. NW
||Harriet P. Whitney||May 26, 1931
Erected by the Women's Titanic Memorial Association on public grounds,
without expense to the United States, by authority of the act approved
Mar. 3, 1917. Site and design approved by Joint Commission of the
Library and Commission of Fine Arts.
|60. District of Columbia
World War Memorial
|Circular Marble Temple||W. Potomac Park
||Frederick H. Brooke||Nov. 11, 1931
Erected by District of Columbia Memorial Commission, without expense to
the United States, by authority of the act approved June 7, 1924. Site
and design approved by Joint Committee on the Library and Commission of
|61. Cardinal Gibbons||Sitting
||16th & Park Rd. NW||Leo Lentelli
||Aug. 14, 1932||Extended below|
Erected on public grounds by the Knights of Columbus, without expense to
the United States. Design and site approved by Commission of Fine Arts.
Public resolution approved April 23, 1928, authorized its erection.
|62. Arlington Memorial Bridge
||Across Potomac river on line joining Lincoln Mem.
with entrance to Arlington National Cemetery
||McKim, Mead & White of New York City, architects
||Jan. 16, 1932||Extended below|
Erected by the Arlington Memorial Bridge Commission and its successor,
the Office of National Parks, Buildings and Reservations of the
Department of the Interior under authority of act of Congress approved
Feb, 24, 1925 (43 Stat., 974), at a cost not to exceed $14,750,000;
memorial symbolical of the union of the North and South and to those who
died in the service of their country.
|63. Lee Mansion National Memorial
||Historic House||Arlington National Cemetery
||George Hadfield, architect
||House transferred from War Dept., to Interior Dept., 1933
In 1802 George Washington Parke Custis began construction of the House.
Following his marriage to Mary Ann Randolph Custis, Robert E. Lee called
the Arlington House his home. During the Civil War federal troops
occupied the Mansion. In 1883 the United States acquired clear title to
the property, and Congress appropriated $150,000 for purchase of the
Mansion. By act of Mar. 4, 1925 Secretary of War was authorized to
undertake the restoration of the Mansion. In 1933 the Arlington House
was transferred from the War Department to the Interior Department. The
house stands today as a memorial to memory of Robert E. Lee.
|64. Lincoln Museum
||Collection of Lincolniana
||511 10th St., NW, in Ford's Theater building
||James G. Gifford, original architect of Ford's Theater
||Lincoln Museum opened Feb. 12, 1932
The United States Government rented the Ford's
Theater Bldg. for a time after Lincoln's assassination in 1865. The old
theater was converted into a three-story building to be used by
various agencies of the War Department. An act of Congress approved
April 7, 1866 appropriated $100,000 for purchase of the building. In
1932 the Osborn Oldroyd collection of Lincolniana was placed on exhibit
on the first floor of the building. The Lincoln Museum was officially
opened to the public on Feb. 11, 1932, and the building dedicated for
|65. House Where Lincoln Died
||Historic House||516 10th St., NW
||- - -||Apr. 21, 1932
The Petersen House was purchased by the Government for $30,000 on Nov.
10, 1896. The Oldroyd collection of Lincolniana was housed in this home until
Dec. 11, 1931, at which time it was removed to the first floor of the Ford's Theater
building. The first floor of the Petersen House was restored with furnishings of
the Civil War period, and opened to the public as the House Where Lincoln
Died on Apr. 21, 1932.
|66. Samuel Gompers||Sitting
||10th & Mass. Ave. NW||Robert Aitken
||Oct. 7, 1933
Cost - $117,408. Erected on public grounds without cost to the United
States Government. The statue, a gift of the American Federation of
|67. Francis G. Newlands
||Memorial Fountain||Chevy Chase Circle
||Edward W. Donn, Jr.||Oct. 12, 1933
Cost - $12,000. A gift to the City of Washington. Erected under the
authority of public resolution No. 15, 72d Congress, Senate joint
resolution 47, and Joint resolution, April 8, 1932.
|68. William Jennings Bryan
||West Potomac Park,
Riverside Dr. & 26th St.
|Gutzon Borglum||May 3, 1924
Cost - $46,615. Erected on public grounds without cost to the
United States Government. A gift of the William Jennings Bryan
|69. Navy-Marine Memorial
||Bronze Gulls in Flight||Columbia Island
||Ernest Begrri del Piatta||Oct. 18, 1934
Cost - $396,600. A gift to the city of Washington by the United States
|70. Original Patentees||Shaft
||Ellipse Grounds south of White House
||Delos Smith||Apr. 25, 1936
Cost - $1,000. Erected by the National Society of the Daughters of the
|71. Second Division A.E.F. Memorial
of Gold Leaf
||James E. Fraser||July 18, 1936
Cost - $60,000. Erected by the Second Division Association as a memorial
to their Dead. The memorial erected under authority of Joint Resolution
of the Congress approved in 1931.
|72. General Artemas Ward||Standing
||Nebraska & Mass. Aves., NW||Leonard Crunelle
||Nov. 3, 1938||Extended below|
Cost - $50,000. The statue presented to the people of the United
States by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. Ward was first
Commander-in-Chief of the American forces in the War of Independence and a
graduate of Harvard, class of 1748.
|73. Guglielmo Marconi
||Bronze portrait statue & pedestal
||16th & Lamont Sts., NW||Attilio Piccirilli
||Sept. 8, 1941||Extended below|
Cost - $32,560. Erected on public grounds by the Marconi Memorial
Foundation, Inc.. The foundation was granted authority to erect the
memorial in park reservation by act of Congress approved April 13, 1938.
|74. Thomas Jefferson Memorial
||Monumental Building||The Tidal Basin
||John Russell Pope, architect; Rudolph Evans, sculptor of Jefferson statue
||Apr. 13, 1943||Extended below|
Provision for building the memorial to Jefferson was made by act of
Congress in 1934 by authority of Public Resolution No. 49, 73rd Congress,
approved June 26, 1934. Thomas Jefferson Commission was organized to plan
and supervise this work. Ground-breaking ceremonies, Dec. 15, 1938; cornerstone
laid Nov. 15, 1939; the dedication April 13, 1943.
|75. Jose Artigas||Standing
||18th & Constitution Ave., NW
||Mario Paysse Reyes, Uruguayan architect
||June 19, 1950||Extended below|
Cost - $29,000. Erected on public grounds as a gift to the people of the
United States and especially the school children from the Oriental Republic of
Uruguay. Accepted by the United States of America, under authority of Public Law
No. 788, approved June 26, 1948.
|76. "Peace and the Arts of Peace"|
and "Valor and Sacrifice"
|Monumental Equestrian Statues
||Arlington Memorial Bridge Plaza
||James E. Fraser
|Sept. 26, 1951||Extended below|
The two monumental equestrian statues at the entrance of Arlington
Memorial bridge symbolize the arts of War and are called "Valor" and
"Sacrifice." They are the work of Leo Friedlander. The two monumental
equestrian statues at the entrance to the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway
symbolize the arts of peace and are called "Music and Harvest" and
"Aspiration and Literature." They are the work of James Earle Fraser.
The statues were cast in Italy as a gift to the people of the United
States of America from the people of Italy. After a National competition
the designs of the respective statues were approved by the Commission of
Last Updated: 31-Jul-2003