At the bridge across Moores Creek on February 27, 1776, Patriot militia defeated a Loyalist army marching to rendezvous with a British fleet on the coast of North Carolina. This early Patriot victory in the southern colonies helped delay a full-scale British invasion of the region for several years. Recognizing the significance of the battleground, the local community initiated the commemorative history of the site in 1856 with an anniversary celebration and a monument drive. In 1897, the State of North Carolina purchased the site and created the Moores Creek Monumental Association as a private organization to develop and maintain the battleground as a public park. Federal involvement began in 1926 with the creation of the Moores Creek National Military Park. After a brief time of management by the War Department, the NPS took over the battlefield in 1933.
During its sixty-five years of management at Moores Creek NB, the NPS has dramatically transformed the park while confronting a number of complex challenges. Management issues of the pastexpansion, facility upgrades, resource protection, landscape restoration, reconstruction policy, limited funding and staffing, and competition for diminishing agency resourceswill undoubtedly resurface in the future. With the emergence of new challenges, such as the growing diversification of the American public, development and land use pressures, and changes in park operating funds, managers at Moores Creek NB may look increasingly to decisions of the past in order to formulate creative solutions for the future. It is hoped that the research presented in this report, and the context in which it has been presented, will help guide the management of Moores Creek NB for many years to come.
NEXT> Appendix 1