on-line book icon

table of contents

National Historic Site
NPS logo

Ford's Theatre
Ford's Theatre after the assassination. Soldiers guard the closed building and mourning bands hang from the windows. The fourth door from the left was the main entrance, and the fifth led to the gallery. The saloon of Peter Taltavull was located on the first floor of the building on the right.
(Reproduced from photograph by Alexander Gardner, Washington, D. C.)

The First Ford's Theatre

In 1833—34 the First Baptist Church of Washington erected a house of worship upon the spot where the Lincoln Museum now stands. Services were held in the building until 1859, when the congregation united with another church, retaining the name of the First Baptist Church but abandoning the Tenth Street building.

John T. Ford, an enterprising theatrical manager of Baltimore and Philadelphia, purchased the First Baptist Church in 1861 and converted it into a theatre. After extensive alterations it was inaugurated on November 19, 1861. Early in 1862, the building was closed to make renovations necessary for the presentation of theatrical instead of musical plays. Reopened under the name of "Fords' Athenaeum," the playhouse proved to be a profitable business venture for Ford. On the evening of December 30, 1862, however, the theatre caught fire and, although several fire companies responded, the building was soon a smouldering ruin.

The New Ford's Theatre

Mr. Ford, not discouraged by this misfortune, made plans for the construction of a larger and more modern structure. The cornerstone of the new edifice was laid on the morning of February 28, 1863, by James J. Gifford, the architect and builder. A substantial brick structure of imposing architectural proportions, it was one of the finest theatres in the country. The auditorium seated nearly 1,700, including 421 in the dress circle (first balcony). The orchestra, parquet, and dress circle, sloping downward toward the stage, were equipped with cane-bottomed chairs. There were eight private boxes, two upper and two lower, located on either side of the stage.

The new Ford's Theatre was completed and opened to the public on the night of August 27, 1863, when the dramatic pageant "The Naiad Queen" was presented to a capacity audience. From that date until it was closed by the Government in April 1865, Ford's Theatre was one of the most successful amusement places in Washington. Mr. Ford endeavored to provide his patrons with the best entertainment possible, and a galaxy of famous actors and actresses appeared there in some of the outstanding productions of the period.


top of page

History  |   Links to the Past  |   National Park Service  |   Search  |   Contact

Last Modified: Mon, Dec 2 2002 10:00:00 am PDT

ParkNet Home