Testimony From The Earth: A Folio
Archeologists uncovered the ruins of the mission
buildings in the 1940's. The rectangle of packed earth with the two
large pits is the base of the large hearth in the mission house kitchen.
Narcissa Whitman cooked on this hearth for only a few years before it
was replaced with a regular cookstove.
A plan of the foundation ruins of the mission house, as found
Among the thousands of artifacts discovered were
these two buckles that might have been used for harnesses or
A millstone emerges from mud at the site of
Whitman's grist mill.