on-line book icon

table of contents

National Military Park
NPS logo

A motor road girdles the park and provides access to all parts of the battlefield.

Establishment of the National Military Park

An effort to have its property recognized as of national significance and to have it declared a national preserve was inaugurated by the Battle Ground Company in 1910. Several bills to effect the transfer of the property to the Federal Government were introduced in Congress, but it was not until March 2, 1917, that the legislation creating Guilford Courthouse National Military Park was enacted. Promptly after passage of the act, the Battle Ground Company deeded its lands to the United States, wound up its affairs, and went out of existence.

Monument erected to the memory of ""Bugler Boy" Gillies, trumpeter to "Light Horse Harry" Lee. Gillies was killed by troopers of Tarleton's Legion a few miles from the Guilford battlefield.

From 1917 to 1933 the park was under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of War. In 1933 the park was transferred to the Department of the Interior to be administered by the National Park Service. An attempt has been made by the Service to restore the battlefield to its historic setting. To that end many trees have been planted to give the area a semblance of the open woodland in which the American and British forces fought.


top of page

History  |   Links to the Past  |   National Park Service  |   Search  |   Contact

Last Modified: Mon, Dec 2 2002 10:00:00 am PDT

ParkNet Home