on-line book icon



table of contents





MANASSAS
National Battlefield Park
NPS logo



three types of swords



The Park

Manassas National Battlefield Park was designated a Federal area May 10, 1940. The more than 1,700 acres of Federal land in the park comprise parts of the two battlefields.

One of the initial steps in the memorialization of these fields was taken in 1922 with the purchase of the Henry Farm, of approximately 128 acres, by the Manassas Battlefield Confederate Park, Inc., and the Sons of Confederate Veterans. On March 19, 1938, the Henry Farm was conveyed by deed to the United States Government as an "everlasting memorial to the soldiers of the Blue and Gray." Significant additions to park holdings were made in 1949 with the acquisition of the historic Stone House and Dugan House properties.


How To Reach the Park

The park is situated in Prince William County, Va., 26 miles southwest of Washington, D. C. State Route 234 intersects U. S. 29 and 211 at the park boundary.


Administration

Manassas National Battlefield Park is administered by the National Park Service of the United States Department of the Interior. Communications should be addressed to the Superintendent, Manassas National Battlefield Park, Manassas, Va.


Related Areas

Other Civil War battlefields in Virginia administered by the National Park Service include: Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park, Richmond National Battlefield Park, Petersburg National Military Park, and Appomattox Court House National Historical Park.


About Your Visit

A modern museum and battlefield markers are features of the park's interpretive program. The museum, which is highlighted by a diorama and an electric map, presents exhibits in such a way as to develop the story of both battles in narrative sequence. Free literature, library facilities, and interpretive services are also available at the museum. Special tours can be arranged for organizations and groups if advance notice is given to the superintendent. Museum hours are from 9 a. m. to 5 p. m. daily.



Previous






top of page





History  |   Links to the Past  |   National Park Service  |   Search  |   Contact

Last Modified: Sat, Apr 7 2001 10:00:00 am PDT
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hh/15/hh15m.htm

ParkNet Home