What Dreams We Have
The Wright Brothers and Their Hometown of Dayton, Ohio
NPS Arrowhead logo

Appendix A
Related Cultural Resources


Adena Mounds located at Wright Brothers Hill


7 Hawthorne Street. Site of the Wright family home. The Edison Institute purchased the home, shed, and two feet of soil in 1936, and in 1938 the Wright homestead was opened as an exhibit at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan.
1891-1902 115 South Horace. Lorin Wright's home. Now privately owned.
1914-1948 Hawthorn Hill, 901 Harmon Avenue. This house, designed with input from both Wilbur and Orville Wright, was completed in 1914, after Wilbur's death. Orville lived here from 1914 until his death in 1948. Katharine Wright lived in the home from 1914 until her marriage in 1926, and Milton Wright lived in the home from 1914 until his death in 1917. The National Cash Register Company purchased the home after Orville's death and uses it as a guest house. Hawthorn Hill was designated a National Historic Landmark in July 1991.


1884-1885 15 Hawthorne Street. The home of the Wrights' longtime associate, Ed Sines. Orville and he set up the Sines & Wright printing company in the kitchen of the home.
1885-1889 7 Hawthorne Street. Sines & Wright moved to the summer kitchen of the Wright family home after obtaining larger print ing equipment than could be accommodated in the Sines kitchen. During the winter, the printing operation moved to the Wright dining room. Later, Orville's mother cleared out an upstairs room for use as the printing company's headquarters. It was at this site that the printing company printed a 4-page newspaper, The Midget, for their 8th grade classmates. Sines & Wright printing dissolved due to a disagreement between Ed and Orville. Orville bought his partner out and soon went into business with his brother, Wilbur, forming the Wright & Wright Job Printing.
Spring 1889-Fall 1890 1210 West Third Street. Wright & Wright Job Printing leased a room in this structure for office space. The Wrights began print ing their weekly newspaper, West Side News, at this location on March 1, 1889. They changed the paper to a daily, called The Evening Item, on April 30, 1890. They ceased publishing this paper in August 1890. This building was demolished.
Fall 1890-1895 1060 West Third Street, Hoover Block. Immediately after Z.T. Hoover completed the building, Wright & Wright, Job Printers leased space in the northwest corner of the second story. The Wright brothers began printing Snap-Shots at Current Events here in October 1894. The building is still extant and is now part of Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
1895-1897 22 South Williams Street. The locations of Wright & Wright, Job Printers and The Wright Cycle Company were consolidated at this one location. Since the Wright brothers were focused on manufacturing bicycles, Ed Sines mainly operated the printing business. The print shop was located on the second floor of the building. Snap-Shots at Current Events, renamed Snap-Shots in February 1896, was printed here until April 1896. The Wright Cycle Company building was designated a National Historic Landmark in June 1990 and is now part of Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
Fall 1897-1899 1127 West Third Street. The printing business was moved with The Wright Cycle Company to this location in the fall of 1897. The Wrights sold the business in 1899, shortly after moving to this building. The building is now located at Greenfield Village, and a portion of the original site is occupied by a structure constructed in 1951.


December 1892-1893 1005 West Third Street. The first location of the Wright brothers' bicycle shop, The Wright Cycle Exchange. The Wright brothers leased a room in the building for their bicycle sales and repair shop. While the original building is still standing, it has been altered extensively through modifications and additions.
1893-1895 1034 West Third Street. The second location of the Wright brothers' bicycle shop. In 1893 they changed the name from The Wright Cycle Exchange to The Wright Cycle Company. The building was demolished in the early 1900s.
1895-1896 23 West Second Street. The third bicycle shop was the only one located outside of West Dayton. This shop, located in downtown Dayton to compete with other bicycle dealers, was only a show room. The bicycle repair business remained in West Dayton. The building was demolished in the 1930s for an expansion of Rike's department store.
1895-Fall 1897 22 South Williams Street. The Wright brothers leased this building for the fourth location of their bicycle business. For the first time, they combined their two businesses, bicycles and printing, into the same building. The bicycle shop was located on the first floor of the structure and the printing business on the second. While occupying this building the Wright brothers expanded their bicycle business to include the manufacture of their own brand of bicycles.
Fall 1897-1908 1127 West Third Street. This building was the last location of 1908The Wright Cycle Company. The Wright brothers stopped making bicycles in 1904 and closed the shop in 1908. The Edison Institute purchased the building in 1936, and it is now at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan. A replica of the building was dedicated at Carillon Historical Park in 1972.


Fall 1897-1916 1127 West Third Street. While leasing this building for their printing and bicycle businesses, the Wright brothers' interest in aeronautics increased. Beginning in 1899, the Wrights also used this building as a laboratory for aeronautical experiments and to construct their gliders and airplanes. After 1908, when they closed the bicycle shop, the Wright brothers used this building solely as a laboratory. When The Wright Company was formed the airplane engines were constructed here. Orville continued to lease the building after Wilbur's death in 1912 until he moved to his new laboratory in 1916.
1904-1916 Huffman Prairie Flying Field, Pylon Road, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. The Wright brothers began using Huffman Prairie Flying Field for flying experiments in 1904. They perfected their airplane on the site through 1905 and then stopped flying. It was not until 1908 that they used Huffman Prairie Flying Field again. In 1910 the Wright brothers started a flying school that was located at Huffman Prairie Flying Field, and they also tested the airplanes built by The Wright Company. The field was closed in 1916. A reconstruction of the Wright brothers' 1904 hangar is at the site. The Huffman Prairie Flying Field was dedicated as a National Historical Landmark in June 1990 and is part of Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
1905 & 1908 Wright Flyer III, Carillon Historical Park. The reassembled Wright Flyer III is exhibited in Wright Hall, a structure designed with Orville Wright's input. The Wright Flyer III was designated a National Historic Landmark in June 1990 and is part of Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
May 1909 1243 West Second Street. The Wright brothers set up a new work area in the barn behind their brother Lorin's home. It was at this site that Wilbur and Orville tested a replica of the failed 1908 propeller. The building was demolished and the site is undeveloped.
February-November 1910 The Wright Company, 1420 Wisconsin Boulevard. Wilbur and Orville Wright and a group of New York financiers formed The Wright Company at the end of 1909. The first planes manufactured by The Wright Company were assembled at this site. While The Wright Company manufacturing plant was under construction, the company leased this space from the Speedwell Motor Car Company. The building was demolished.
1910-1916 The Wright Company and Plant 3 Dayton Wright Airplane Company, 2701 Home Avenue. This site consists of two buildings constructed between 1910 and 1911 by The Wright Company to serve as its permanent factory location. By 1911, the factory had the capibilities to construct four airplanes a month, which was the highest airplane production rate in the world. Plant 3 of the Dayton-Wright Company, formed by Edward A. Deeds and Charles F. Kettering, also operated at this site from 1917 to 1923.
1911-1914 Wright Seaplane Base, Great Miami River at Sellers Road Bridge. Orville conducted experiments with seaplanes at this site on the Great Miami River.
1916-1948 Wright Aeronautical Laboratory, 15 North Broadway. Orville built this structure in 1916 as a laboratory. He sold the property in 1919, and then leased it from the subsequent owners until his death in 1948. For most of his life, when he was in Dayton, Orville worked here six days a week on various experiments. The laboratory was demolished in November 1976.
1918-1923 Plant 1 Dayton Wright Airplane Company, 4100 Springboro Road. The Dayton Wright Airplane Company was founded by Edward A. Deeds and Charles F. Kettering in April 1917. Orville Wright was a member of the board and a consulting engineer. The company manufactured airplanes for World War I. General Motors Corporation purchased the company in 1919 and in 1923 the company ceased manufacturing airplanes.
1940 Wright Brothers Hill, Kaufman Road and Route 444, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. The memorial, dedicated on Orville's birthday in 1940, honors the Wright brothers for their original research and development of the airplane. Wright Brothers Hill, designed by the Olmsted Brothers, looks toward Huffman Prairie Flying Field where the brothers perfected the airplane.


Wright Engine #3 The engine is displayed at the Engineers Club of Dayton, 112 East Monument Avenue.

Wright Newspapers
All copies of The Midget, West Side News, The Evening Item, and Snap Shots are in the collection of the Dayton and Montgomery County Public Library.


1917-1927 McCook Field, North Bend Boulevard. McCook Field, the first United States military aviation research center, operated from 1917 to 1927. The research conducted at the field included the invention of the modern free fall parachute, development of aerial photography, design and testing of aircraft, and propeller and engine improvements. The field was relocated in 1927 to a larger space east of Dayton that is now part of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. The original McCook Field is now developed by the Parkside Homes Housing Project, the McCook Shopping Center, Kettering Athletic Field, and other buildings.


1872-1880 311 Howard Street. Paul Laurence Dunbar was born in this house on June 27, or 1881-1872. Paul resided here with his mother, grandmother, and younger sister. His father lived here with the family for a short time. The house was demolished and the street no longer exists.
1880 or 1881 South side of Magnolia Street west of Brown Street. Matilda and her son resided in this leased home for one year. The house was demolished.
1882 116 Sycamore Street. Matilda and Paul resided in this rental for less than one year. The building was demolished.
1882-1887 121 Short Wilkinson Street. Matilda and Paul resided in this leased home. The house was demolished.
1887 North side of Washington Street, second house west of Perry Street. Matilda and Paul resided in this rental home for less than one year. The house was demolished.
1888-1891 317 West Washington Street. This house was located next door to the Dunbar's previous home. This house was demolished.
1891-May 1892 818 North Linden. Matilda and Paul leased a cottage at the rear of lot near the Great Maimi River. This house was demolished.
May 1892-February 1906 140 West Ziegler Street. Paul purchased this home with his salary from his job as an elevator operator at the Callahan Bank Building. Dunbar lived here, except for several extended absences, until he moved to Washington, D.C in October 1897. He continued to own this home until his death in 1906. The house was demolished.
1903-June 1904 118 Sycamore Street. Paul leased this home when he returned to Dayton to live. He resided here until he purchased the house on Summit Street. The house was demolished.
June 1904-February 1906 219 North Paul Laurence Dunbar (formerly Summit) Street. With the knowledge of his impending death from tuberculosis, Dunbar purchased this home for his mother. The house is now part of the Paul Laurence Dunbar State Memorial operated by the Ohio Historic Society. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962 and is part of Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.


Dunbar Newspapers Orginal copies of the Dayton Tattler, Dunbar's newspaper for the African American community of Dayton that was printed by the Wright brothers, are in the collections of the Ohio Historical Society.


What Dreams We Have
©2003 Ann Honious.
Published by Eastern National

honious/appendix-a.htm — 18-Feb-2004