Historic Sites and Buildings
Summerseat (Somerseat), sometimes called Summerseat School, was erected in the 1770's by Thomas Barclay, a Philadelphia merchant. In 1806 signer of the Declaration and the Constitution George Clymer acquired the Georgian residence and occupied it until his death there 7 years later.
The five-bay brick-and-stone structure, which was restored in 1931 and renovated 4 years later, is in good condition. It stands two stories high over an elevated basement. A pair of interior brick chimneys rise near each end of the slate-covered gable roof. The main, or east, facade is of brick; the end walls, probably also of brick, are covered with cement; the rear elevation is of field stone. A rectangular transom and triangular pediment surmount the paneled front door. Flat arches, of gauged brick, accent the first- and second-floor windows of the main facade; segmental arches, also of gauged brick, top the windows of the rear elevation and of all those in the basement. All first- and second-floor windows have solid shutters.
Central halls divide the four rooms on both floors into pairs. Each room is equipped with a fireplace. The stairs, set against the south wall of the rear portion of the hall, are lighted by a large window overlooking the landing. The walls, floors, and some of the woodwork appear to be original.
The Morrisville School District owns the building, and uses it for educational purposes. It is open to the public on a restricted basis.
Last Updated: 29-Jul-2004