Historic Sites and Buildings
In 1749 William Blount was born at Rosefield, the home of his maternal grandparents, John Gray and his wife, and he later made occasional visits there. It is the only extant structure associated with Blount in North Carolina.
In 1729 Gray acquired about 1,000 acres on the site of Windsor, and built the west part of the front section of the existing house. In the late 18th century, it was extended eastward to its present five-bay width. About 1860 a two-story, frame wing was added to the rear northwest corner to create the present ell shape. A one-story addition on the east of this wing was apparently erected at a later date.
The frame dwelling is in good condition. It stands two stories high over a full basement. A brick exterior hipped chimney rises at either end of the gabled roof. A three-bay porch shelters the central main entrance, which is framed by a rectangular transom and sidelights. Louvered shutters flank the windows.
On the first floor, a parlor and bedroom are west of the central hall, and a living room and a second bedroom to the east. The original wide-board floors are visible in the hall and two bed rooms, but have been covered by modern flooring in the parlor and living room. The rooms all have plaster walls and wood chair rails. Three chambers and a linen room occupy the second floor, and the original kitchen, dining room, and pantry are in the basement.
A private residence, still in the possession of Gray descendants, Rosefield is not shown publicly.
Last Updated: 29-Jul-2004