Historic Sites and Buildings
John Adams lived in the house of his birth (133 Franklin Street) until he was 29 in 1764. His son, John Quincy, was born in the second house in 1767, which was both home and law office to the father although his practice and public career began to keep him more and more in Boston. He acquired title to the first house in 1774, but both houses were occupied by tenants after 1783 while the family was in Europe. John Quincy purchased both houses from his father in 1803 and lived in the second from 1805 to 1807. Both houses were deeded by the Adams heirs to the City of Quincy in 1940, and have been declared eligible for the Registry of National Historic Landmarks (both designated on 12/19/60) in the study of "Political and Military Affairs, 1783-1830." They are of simple saltbox design, in good condition although both have undergone some alteration. The earliest part of the second house probably dates from about 1663, while the John Adams birthplace is believed to have been built about 1681.
Last Updated: 09-Jan-2005