ESTABLISHMENT OF ARKANSAS POST NATIONAL MEMORIAL
Although Arkansas Post had largely disappeared, its role in the history of Arkansas was not forgotten. In 1926, Fletcher Chenault, Arkansas Gazette columnist, visited Arkansas Post. Impressed by the significance of the area, Chenault published an article and proposed that the site be developed as a state park. This recommendation was acted on. On February 27, 1929, a bill establishing Arkansas Post as a unit of the State Park System was signed into law.
The park began with 20 acres donated by Fred Quandt. In the following years, additional acreage was acquired and numerous improvements made with the support of Works Progress Administration labor. On March 26, 1959, Arkansas Congressman William F. Norrell introduced a bill to establish Arkansas Post as a unit of the National Park System. On July 6, 1960, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed into law, legislation authorizing creation of Arkansas Post National Memorial.
Arkansas Post National Memorial is administered by the National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. The park contains 304.6 acres of land encompassing the sites of three colonial forts, Confederate Post of Arkansas, and the Franco-Spanish-American village that became the territorial capital of Arkansas. A modern visitor center and museum interpret the Arkansas Post story.
Last Updated: 13-Feb-2006