The Dorchester Boy's Academy evolved from a one-room primary school in 1871 into a leading educational institution for black children in rural coastal Georgia. Today, the Georgian Revival style dormitory is the only surviving historic structure. The academy was founded by ex-slaves with the assistance of the American Missionary Association, an organization that played an important role in the education of Southern blacks following the Civil War. In its 70 years of operation, the academy offered agricultural, vocational, and basic academic education. It was also used during the Civil Rights Movement as the training site for the Citizenship Education Program.
Return to top
Theme Map and Site Listing | Golden Cresent Home page