Questions for Photo 2
1. Try to pick out natural features and features that Olmsted and Sargent designed. What are the reasons for your choices?
2. Olmsted did not think that activities should be mixed together on the same landscape. Where in this photo can you find his idea of separation? Why do you think he regarded such separations as necessary?
3. How do you think people without carriages might have reached the arboretum?
4. Do you think a view such as this was equally pleasurable to Olmsted and Sargent? Why or why not?
* The photo on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Photo 2, but be aware that the file will take as much as 34 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.