Map 1: Branchville, Connecticut to New York City.
Questions for Maps 1 & 2, & Table 1
1. Using Map 1, locate Branchville, Connecticut, and New York City. As a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters, the National Commission of Fine Arts, and president of the National Academy of Design, Weir often had to attend meetings in New York.
2. Examine Map 2 and Table 1, the train schedule used when Weir planned his two-hour long trips to the city.
3. What was the frequency of the trains, and the variety of destinations available for the commuter and tourist alike?
4. Why did the train make it possible for Weir to live on the farm?
5. Would it have been possible for him to live there year round?
* The maps and table on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Map 1, Map 2, and Table 1, but be aware that the files may take as much as 35 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.