Questions for Photos 1 & 2
1. Compare the descriptions in Illustration 1 to Photos 1 & 2. Which grave marker matches the description given in Illustration 1? Describe how it matches.
2. Compare Photos 1 & 2. What are the differences in the grave markers? Why do you think the markers were changed?
3. What is the long-term problem with the marker in Photo 1? How might this problem add to the number of unknown soldiers graves?
4. What can the markers tell us about these soldiers?
5. Have you seen similar markers in a local cemetery? Are they associated with veterans? Which war did they serve in? How can you tell?
* The photos on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 1 and Photo 2, but be aware that each file will take as much as 35 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.