The Hervey Ely House, constructed in 1837, and named after the original owner, is a two and a half story, Greek Revival building which represents the educational and preservationist activities of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). Purchased by the DAR Irondequoit Chapter in 1920, the Ely House is a beautiful example of the Grecian classical architecture popular with the affluent in early and mid-19th century America. The site of the Ely House also demonstrates the breadth of DAR's historical focus; the land was home to the Seneca Indian Tribe for over 2,000 years and the Ely residence was built near the Seneca Indians' Last Sacrifice of the White Dog ceremony.
The DAR was founded in 1890 and incorporated by an Act of Congress in 1896. The DAR works today to "perpetuate the memory and spirit of the men and women who achieved American Independence" by supporting diverse avenues of knowledge - schools, scholarships and museums-and through far-reaching efforts to promote American freedom, traditions and citizenship. Historic preservation has long been a priority for the Daughters. In the year of the DAR's national founding, a DAR museum dedicated to the collection of American arts created before 1830 opened, and began the DAR's tradition of American history stewardship that continues into the present. The Irondequoit Chapter's preservation of the Ely House exemplifies how community efforts benefit and expand the borders of American history.
Hervey Ely House, home of the Irondequoit Chapter DAR
Chapter Members during the 100th Anniversary celebration
Photographs by Amy L. Monastero. Courtesy of the Irondequoit Chapter DAR.
The Hervey Ely House is located at 11 Livingston Park in Rochester, NY. The property is open on Fridays from 11 am to 3 pm.
Home |List of Sites |
Main Map | Western NY Map | Next Site