Front facade of First National Bank--113 W. Main St.
Courtesy of Lorraine Draper
As one of the more prolific architects of Pipestone, Wallace Dow
designed the 1898 First National Bank building. Leon Moore and A.
J. Martin constructed the two-story, 25 by 80-foot Sioux quartzite
building, decorated with molded gray granite columns and a Richardsonian
inspired Sioux quartzite arch with a light colored keystone. The
most distinctive features which still mark this Neoclassical building
are the fluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals that support an
entablature and triangular dentilated pediment, the lunette date
stone and the words "First National Bank," done in relief on a light
This building was the second home of the First National Bank, the
first being in the Calumet Hotel. In 1916
it was sold to G. A. Belsheim, a clothing store. During this time,
the arch and half of the pilasters were removed when Belsheim remodeled
the first-floor facade. In 1931, the building again changed hands
and became a grocery store until 1956. Further remodeling took place,
completely altering the storefront to its present condition, and
a shoe store moved
into the space. The second floor of the building housed the Telephone
Exchange and other professional offices from 1899 to 1952. For the
past 20 years, the upstairs floor was used for apartment living.
The First National Bank Building is located at 113 W. Main St.,
Pipestone. It is currently empty and not open to the public.