An instructive amalgamation
of farm buildings, Weston was originally the residence of the Fitzhugh
family. The rambling house began as a log cottage probably built for Thomas
Fitzhugh around 1810. The property was purchased from the Fitzhughs by
Charles Joseph Nourse in l859. Nourse, who was reared in Georgetown, D.C.,
named the farm Weston in commemoration of his ancestral home Weston Hall
in England. Under Nourse the house grew by steady accretion. Changes and
additions made in 1860, 1870, and 1893 resulted in an L-shaped structure
Photograph courtesy of Virginia Department of Historic Resources
Carpenter's Gothic detailing. Following Nourse's death in 1906, his widow,
Annie, operated a school and summer camp here. During World War II the
Nourse daughters maintained Weston as a hospitality center for servicemen,
serving some 11,000 meals by the end of the war. Weston and its important
collection of outbuildings is now a farm museum owned by the Warrenton
Photograph from National
Weston is located at 4447 Weston Rd., in the vicinity of Casanova.
Owned by the Warrenton Antiquarian Society, Weston is now a museum.
It is only open for tours occasionally. There is a suggested donation.
Call 540-788-9220 for further tour information.