Click here to go directly to the content of this page
[graphic header] A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor
 [graphic] link to Corridor Home [graphic text] Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor
[graphic] link to Maps
[graphic] link to List of Sites
[graphic] Link to Learn More
 [graphic] Link to Itineraries
 [graphic] Link to NR Home
[graphic] Link to Previous Site[graphic] Link to Next Site

[graphic] Easton Historic District


[photo] Four views of the Easton Historic District
Photographs by Sue Pridemore
Located favorably at the junction of the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers and the mouth of the Great and Lehigh Valleys, Easton occupied a position astride both major east-west and north-south trade routes and became a commercial and transportation center of national importance. Because of its position Easton was also a center of frontier government and diplomacy. Transportation development began as early as 1740 and grew continuously. Easton developed a considerable river trade, by means of Durham boats, with Philadelphia and other parts of the American colonies. The years between 1820 and 1850 marked Easton's most pronounced growth as one of the country's most important canal junctions. During the last half of the 19th century it was connected to five railroads and the three massive rail bridges crossing the Delaware River here reflect the importance of the community. The commercial and residential buildings in the Easton Historic District represent the dynamic growth and wealth of the community in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Easton Historic District is a relatively intact Victorian commercial center. Within the district, examples of Colonial architecture include the Parsons-Taylor House at 58 South Fourth Street and the Easton House Tavern located at 1 North Second Street. Federal architecture is exemplified by the Mixsell House (Northampton County Historical Society) located at 104 South Fourth Street and the First Public Library located at 32 North Second Street. The Eclectic and Revival styles can be found at the Herman Simon House on 41 North Third Street, the Benjamin Reigel House at 214 Spring Garden Street and the Detwiler House located at 54 Centre Square. The old Northampton National Bank Building located at 400-402 Northampton Square and the Old State Theater at 415-453 represent the Beaux Arts style of 1890-1920. The Art Deco architectural style is represented by the Jacob Mayer Building located at 1,2,3, Centre Square and the Bell Telephone Building located at 47 North Fourth Street.

The Easton Historic district is generally bounded by Riverside Dr. before the Delaware River, Bushkill Dr., Ferry St., Lehigh St., Union St., Walnut St., South 7th St., Church St. and Hestor St. in Easton. Many of the businesses within the district open to the public during normal business hours.


 [graphic] Link to Canal History Essay
 [graphic] Link to Delaware and Lehigh Region Essay
 [graphic] Link to Scranton and the Railroad Essay
 [graphic] Link to Establishing the Heritage Corridor Essay

 

Corridor Home | Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

 

Comments or Questions


JPJ

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website