The small Town of Kirby, established by vote in 1915, is located
midway between two larger towns. Within three months, the town
voted to erect this jail, which would also serve as the town
hall. Kirby and its residents, a small community, soon settled
into a prolonged decline that began with the Great Depression
and continued through the 1940s and 1950s. The Kirby Jail and
Town Hall would be the first and only local government building.
Besides acting as jail and town hall, the building also functioned
as the town's polling place for local and national elections.
A small, single-pen structure built with minimal ornamentation,
the Kirby Jail and Town Hall is a modestly scaled building.
The jail and town hall are similar in scale and construction
to the elementary school built in 1913 by the school district
and to other, privately owned, buildings in town. In this, it
forms an integral part of the small-town fabric of Kirby. The
jail is also similar in scale to other small-town jails in Wyoming.
The aspect that distinguishes this building among its peers
is its relatively well-preserved state. And the aspect that
distinguishes the jail and town hall historically is the fact
that it is the only town government building erected in Kirby-the
sole representative of town-level government in this small town.
To read the
full file on the Kirby Jail and Town Hall.
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List
(with previous highlights)