|The Jewish Center of Coney Island, built between 1929 and 1931, is significant under criterion A for its association with the Jewish Community Center movement of the late 1910s and 1920s and as an indication of the development of Brighton Beach, at the southern edge of Brooklyn, as a new, middle-class residential neighborhood with a substantial Jewish population in the 1920s. The Jewish Community Center movement had its beginnings in the mid-nineteenth century when congregations established centers that provided social and cultural services to the newly arrived and disadvantaged members of the Jewish community. These new centers included schools and places of worship, and were modeled after Christian establishments like institutional churches and the Young Mens Christian Association (YMCA). By the turn of the twentieth century, controversy between the religious and secular Jewish communities and a rapidly increasing Jewish population necessitated a new type of facility where the three traditionally separated institutions of synagogue, school, and community center were combined. The Jewish Community Center movement is highly significant in the story of American Judaism as it marked a new and intrinsically American development in synagogue architecture.